The Acts of my kind hearted kids


Back in February, we were in the middle of an extremely bad drought. One of the worst for 70 years, the dry days ground on, and the stream running through the centre of our farm dried up. Here and there were small pockets of water gradually vanishing as the weeks without rain dragged on.Even our dam down the back of the farm had completely dried up. One morning, my youngest Michelle vanished off for a few hours. She told me she was going down to the stream to check the water level. I hadn't noticed, she had also taken a bucket and a couple of old soft drink bottles with her. As lunch time drew near I called her up.


Up Michelle came with a bucket loaded with freshwater native Crayfish and a dozen or so native fish along with them. She said something about fish, but I thought initially they were eels.


It turned out that indeed they were native fish! And a land-locked population at that. This fish in the photo is known as a Banded Kokopu. We also indentifed a second species of fish called Inanga. Then Michelle mentioned there were yet more to be rescued from a rapidly evaporating pool of water.

 So Inaya joined in as well rescuing what many would see as just whitebait to stick in their fritters for breakfast. Actually, the presence of native fish and crayfish in the stream gives a good indicator on the state of the water quality. There were my kind hearted kids doing what they thought was right to help the fish and crayfish survive.

With all the fish and crays that could be found rescued, the kids released them into a deep part of the stream which still had plenty of water in it. Michelle would go down on a daily basis to monitor the water levels. We hope they did survive what was a tough dry summer for us all. I was glad when the first drops of rain fell. And yes while the great rescue operation was taking place, the Terrorist naturally had to supervise. One thing as a parent I do know. I've taught my kids to care, and that has made me smile - a lot.

Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have.
Margaret Mead

Comments

  1. That's right, I remember that drought, that was soooo bad. Don' tknow how some of the farmers managed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really bad Amy. I was at the point where I was going to destock the entire farm, but the rains came just in time.

      Delete
  2. I can definitely relate to the drought scenario. And I loved the pictures of your little girls rescuing the helpless. They remind me of my nieces and granddaughter. And your cow! She is hilarious. Like a giant cow-shaped dog :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts